Improve your email marketing opening rates
Email marketing has had a bit of a bad press recently, but that’s only because everybody has jumped on the band wagon and there are lots of people out there ‘doing’ email marketing very badly.
Email marketing is still one of the most cost effective ways of reaching an audience. But remember it’s not a quick win. It’s more of a slow burner, a way of drip feeding your brand in front of your customers, educating them and reminding them that you are there. Do it well and you can reap a good return on investment.
Here are some tips to help you improve your opening rates and remember if you are getting around 20% open rate, you are doing very well!
- Start with a good databaseUse your own database of contacts who know you and give permission to be contacted, you’ll get better open rates. A bought in database will typically see open rates drop dramatically.
- Be targeted if you canIt makes your job harder, but it’s always best to be targeted, even if it means segmenting your audience into different campaigns. If you are sending information that your readers will want to hear, your open rates will be much higher. Ask yourself what do your customers want to hear, which might be very different to want you want to say!
- Be realMake sure your emails are sent from an authenticated sent from address so that the ISPs will believe who you are, otherwise they will ‘spam you’.
- Use a spam checkerCheck your email content isn’t going to get by spam, you’d be surprised what words can cause a problem – free, buy now, or lots of exclamation marks! Spam check your email before it goes out with the free spam checker tool on emailshot.
- Don’t over use imagesRemember not to use a lot of graphics because again this can be seen as spam. Images can’t often be seen until you right click so a recipient may also choose not to open it so make sure your key headings are in text, not graphics. Emailshot’s new easy editor makes it much easier to construct an engaging newsletter.
- Use links when expectedUse links within your content at relevant stages but don’t just link to a home page – be targeted. Tease your audience with a short punchy paragraph with a link for more information to the relevant article. It will work much better than putting all of the information in the emailshot. It will also give you more reporting data to follow up afterwards.
- Construct your emailshot using AIDAAIDA stands for attention, interest, desire, action – it’s a great little tool to help you construct any marketing material. Attract attention with an attention-seeking headline, create interest by telling them how you can help and the desire to find out more and always include a call to action.
- Don’t confuse your audienceA single offer is strong and offers clarity, but may only be relevant to some. If you have more than one topic, keep your emailshot paragraphs short and clear headings so recipients can scan down two or three pieces and choose what is relevant to them.
- Relevant and about the recipientRemember your emailshot should be about your audience, not all about you. Make your content engaging, interesting, relevant, rather than simply to sell products. Become an expert in your field or demonstrate how your products and services are helping others.
Try these tips out and see your open rates increase.
Or give Fig Creative a call on 01457 857111 and we can manage your email marketing campaigns on your behalf, writing and design relevant, targeted content. We use www.emailshot.co.uk as our email marketing platform, try it for free.